Thursday, June 14, 2012

Delight means something that gives great pleasure to. As a verb it means to give great pleasure, satisfaction, or enjoyment to; or please highly. I have been thinking about this word alot since Sunday when Pastor Blake Shipp gave a sermon about our true name - one whom God dwells and delights in.  I have thought about God rejoicing over me with singing. 

 I heard this song once that just spoke to my heart. It is called Amazed and the lyrics go like this:
"You dance over me while I am unaware
You sing all around But I never hear the sound
Lord I'm amazed by You, Lord I'm amazed by You, Lord I'm amazed by You
How You love me,How wide,How deep,How great, Is Your love for me"

In all my trying to bless others or be a blessing, I sometimes forgot that I am a blessing to God. Read more about this in my blog entry from May 25, 2012.

God is a blessing to me but how am I a blessing to Him? How does he delight in me. He just intrinsically takes pleasure in me for how he made me. The way I understand this is through being a mother.  I take pleasure in my son and am well pleased with him just for who he is. He brings me joy apart from what he does.  God also sees who we will be not just how we are behaving in a moment in time.


  My husband and I want my son to know he is a blessing so here are some of the ways we express this delight:

1. I give him more than he asks for or expects as surprises. This morning, he woke up wanting a cookie or a lollipop. He must have been dreaming about one. Now, I could have said "no we have to eat breakfast first." This morning, however, I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. I was tempted to just give him 1 cookie yet I remembered that the Lord gives us more than we can ask for or imagine. I wanted to surprise my son and so I gave him two cookies and a lollipop all before breakfast. My son's smile can light up a room. His dimples get so big, his face lights up and he gives me this smile that makes my heart melt. I just enjoy seeing him smile.

2. We pick themes from books and live them. For example, we have a wacky wednesday story by Dr. Seuss so some wednesdays we have wacky wednesday in our house.

3. We listen to his stories, we laugh at his jokes. We try to listen more and talk less.

4. We just watch and observe him. The eyes are good receivers.

5. My husband and son do "fast kisses".

6. We play baseball and hockey in our living room (we do away with rules like no balls in the house). Our living room is a room we live in and do things as a family.

7. We let him be who God created him to be rather than who we desire him to be.

8. We let him ask questions without fear that he is being disrespectful.

9. We take adventure walks

10. we go down the slides and climb the playsets with him

11. We sit on the floor and play board games, mold things out of playdough, play with dinosaurs

12. We take him to many new places so he can explore and see what he enjoys.


13. We do most things as a family - sit together in church, go on dates, have family meetings, family church singing and Bible reading. We do projects with him in the home instead of thinking he is too small.  He loves to be a part of our family and to help out.

I am going to continue to think upon how and why God delights in me and how I delight in my son.   I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment